A jaw surgery can straighten or reposition the jaw. Orthognathic surgery is another name for it. Most of the time, it is done by oral or maxillofacial surgeons who collaborate with an orthodontist. There are several causes for which jaw surgery may be recommended. For instance, Jaw Surgery in Islamabad might correct an injury or realign a mismatched bite brought on by aberrant jaw growth.
On this page, you will learn about this surgery including its benefits, results, cost and many more. So, take a moment and read the following details.
What is Jaw Surgery?
A surgical treatment called jaw surgery commonly referred to as orthognathic surgery is used to treat abnormalities of the jaw and facial bones, such as a misaligned jaw, a malocclusion or a facial injury.
The purpose of jaw surgery is to enhance the jaw’s functioning and aesthetics, which will enhance oral health, speaking, and respiration as well as the teeth and facial structure. Cutting and realigning the jaw bones are two common aspects of the treatment, which may also involve realigning the teeth.
The procedure is often carried out in a hospital environment under general anaesthesia by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. After jaw surgery, the recovery period might last several months and include things like physical therapy, dietary changes, and pain treatment.
Types of Jaw Surgery:
There are several types of jaw surgery, each designed to address specific jaw and facial abnormalities. Some common types of jaw surgery include:
- Maxillary osteotomy (upper jaw surgery).
- Mandibular osteotomy (lower jaw surgery).
- Genioplasty (chin surgery).
- Orthognathic surgery.
- Distraction osteogenesis.
- Temporomandibular joint surgery.
Note to Remember – Each type of jaw surgery is tailored to the specific needs of the patient, and the choice of procedure will depend on the severity and type of jaw abnormality being corrected.
10 Topmost Benefits:
Jaw surgery can offer several benefits, including:
- It will improve your bite.
- People choose this surgery for better speech.
- Enhance the facial appearance and give you long-lasting results.
- Your self-confidence and self-esteem.
- It will improve oral health.
- Improved breathing.
- Reduced pain and discomfort.
- Improved sleep.
- Increased lifespan of teeth.
- Improved quality of life.
Before and After Jaw Results:
Both functionally and cosmetically, jaw surgery can have amazing outcomes. Patients who need jaw surgery generally struggle with biting, chewing, and speaking. They may also have facial asymmetry or a misaligned jaw. The patient’s facial look and overall health should significantly improve following jaw surgery.
It’s important to remember that while jaw surgery results can be dramatic, they might not be noticeable right away. After jaw surgery, the recovery time might last several months and include things like physical therapy, dietary changes, and pain treatment. To get the best results, patients must be patient and follow their post-operative care routine.
Finding the Right Surgeon for Jaw Treatment:
When you want to get Jaw Surgery in Islamabad, it is necessary to choose the right plastic surgeon for it. Here are some tips for finding the right surgeon:
- Look for a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
- Get referrals from family, and friends for recommendations.
- Verify that the surgeon you are considering is licensed and board-certified.
- Research their experience in performing jaw surgery.
- Schedule a consultation.
- Consider the surgical team.
Your health, appearance, and quality of life will all be affected by your choice of jaw surgeon, so make sure you make the proper one. Choose a surgeon who you feel comfortable with and who has the knowledge and experience required to help you reach your goals by taking the time to carefully explore your options.
Preparing for Jaw Surgery:
Preparing for jaw surgery can help ensure a smooth and successful outcome. Here are some steps you can take to prepare for your procedure:
- Your oral and maxillofacial surgeon will likely schedule a pre-operative appointment to evaluate your health and discuss the details of the procedure. During this appointment, your surgeon may take X-rays or other imaging to help plan the surgery.
- If you smoke, it’s important to stop several weeks before the procedure, as smoking can impede the healing process.
- If you have any health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease, make sure to inform your surgeon and follow any instructions for managing these conditions before this surgery.
- Plan for your recovery period by arranging for time off from work or school, and arranging for help with household tasks and personal care.
- Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for preparing for the procedure, including instructions on diet, medication, and other factors. It’s important to follow these instructions carefully to minimize the risk of complications.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure, as you will not be able to drive yourself.
- Pack a bag with any items you may need during your recovery, such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, comfortable clothing, and reading material.
The Jaw Surgery Procedure:
Jaw surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia and can take several hours to complete, depending on the extent of the procedure. The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Before the procedure, you will be given general anesthesia to ensure that you are completely asleep and pain-free during the surgery.
- Step 2: The surgeon will make incisions in the gums to access the bones of the jaw. The incisions may be made inside the mouth, or in some cases, through external incisions in the skin.
- Step 3: The surgeon will reposition the jaw bones to achieve the desired bite and facial symmetry. The bones may be reshaped, shortened, lengthened, or repositioned to achieve the desired result.
- Step 4: The repositioned jaw bones will be secured in place using screws, plates, and wire.
- Step 5: The incisions will be closed with sutures, and the surgeon may place dressing or packing inside the mouth to promote healing and protect the surgical area.
Recovering from jaw surgery can take several weeks or months, and it’s important to follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully to promote healing and minimize the risk of complications. Here are some general guidelines for recovery from jaw surgery:
- It is necessary to take painkillers for several days.
- You have to maintain your diet according to the surgeon’s advice.
- If you feel swelling, dont worry it will resolve.
- Protect the treated area from bacteria and infection.
- Use mouthwash and other products to keep it clean.
- Do not perform physical activities for several weeks.
- You have to attend follow-up appointments with your surgeon.
It can be challenging to recover after jaw surgery, but it’s important to have patience and carefully follow your surgeon’s instructions. After several weeks or months of recovery, most patients can achieve a satisfactory outcome and resume their regular activities with the right care and attention.
The Cost Of Surgery:
The cost of Jaw Surgery in Islamabad may vary from person to person. It will be calculated after examining your condition because it will not be charged equally to everyone. Also, there are some factors that can affect the cost of the treatment. Such as:
- Experienced surgeon’s fee.
- Location and reputation of the clinic.
- Type of jaw surgery.
- Other additional charges.
Furthermore, if you want to know more about the cost or its factors, you can speak to our experts. They will listen to your concerns, and expectations and let you know the cost accurately.
The duration of the jaw surgery in Islamabad procedure depends on the type and extent of the surgery. It can range from a few hours to several hours.
Generally, general anesthesia is used for jaw surgery, which means the patient will be unconscious during the surgery.
The recovery time after jaw surgery in Islamabad varies depending on the individual's healing process and the specific type of surgery performed. On average, it takes about six weeks to recover fully.
The cost of jaw surgery in Islamabad varies depending on the type of surgery needed and the hospital or clinic where it is performed.
As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with jaw surgery. These include bleeding, infection, nerve injury, and an adverse reaction to anesthesia.
It is possible that a patient may experience some changes in their appearance after jaw surgery in Islamabad , particularly if the surgery was done to correct a severe malformation or defect of the jaw. However, this will be discussed with the patient before the procedure.
The length of time a patient needs to take off work or school after jaw surgery in Islamabad will depend on the extent and type of surgery performed, as well as the individual's healing process. Typically, patients can return to work or school within two to four weeks after surgery.
Book Your Appointment With Us!
Therefore, for patients with jaw and biting issues, jaw surgery is a hard treatment that can have significant benefits. To obtain a more aesthetically pleasing bite and facial look, the jaw bones are moved and reshaped throughout the surgery. If you want to get it from an expert and professional surgeon, feel free to consult Enfield Royal Clinics. Only they can perform the treatment perfectly and give you desired results.