Your teeth greatly affect your overall look, and overlapping teeth may make your smile seem terrible. While some individuals only have one overlapping tooth, others may have several overlapping teeth, which may cause problems for their dental health. In addition to being unsightly, overlapping teeth may cause discomfort while biting and eating. Thankfully, several treatment choices are available to handle this frequent tooth problem. Overlapping teeth might cause other major problems for your dental health if you do not address them. Understanding the reason is crucial so you can find the best solution. Let us examine the best treatment for overlapping teeth, such as veneers, Invisalign, braces, and sculptures.
What is Overlapping Teeth
Overlapping teeth, or misaligned teeth, are positioned in front or overlapped on the same dental arch. It can cause difficulty in eating or speaking, jaw discomfort, and even the development of a teeth-grinding habit. Overlapping teeth can also cause difficulty in speaking or eating, as they may be in front of or overlap one another. It is important to address these issues for better dental and overall health.
Which Factors Lead to Overlapping Teeth?
Overlapping teeth often result from a child’s thumb-sucking habit that persists after permanent teeth erupt. Your front or back teeth may begin to overlap or become misaligned if your mouth is too small to accommodate all of your teeth.
Although these are the two most frequent reasons, there are several other reasons why teeth may overlap. Below, you can see them:
- Genetic Factors
- Tooth Crowding
- Prolonged feeder usage as a young kid
- injuries that result in the jaw’s misalignment
- Issues with cleft lip and palate
- Teeth that are preventing their gums from rupturing
- More teeth
- Inappropriately fitting crowns and fillings
What Is the Best Treatment for Overlapping Teeth?
Correcting your misaligned teeth can completely change your smile. Whether your goal is to enhance your looks or lower your risk of developing health problems, you must go for available treatments. If your overlap is small, you can look into dental hygiene practices to avoid more issues. Alternatively, you could still want to make things right to finally have the smile of your dreams.
Let’s explore what is the best treatment for overlapping teeth. Several widely used methods for treating overlapping teeth are as follows:
- Braces: A typical brace is often used to treat overlapping teeth, moving them by applying pressure to an archwire, ligature elastic, bonding substance, and ceramic or metal brackets. However, it is not a quick fix and requires constant wear for one to three years. Using a brace to cure malocclusion may take time and require comfort with metal in the mouth. If wearing a brace is not feasible, other methods may be considered for straightening overlapping teeth.
- Veneers: Veneers may enhance the look of your teeth but cannot move them. Porcelain or composite veneers, custom-made to cover problematic teeth, maybe a possibility if you have a minor overlapping issue. Veneers are costly, especially if they are porcelain-made.
- Sculpting: Dental sculpting is a treatment where an orthodontist drills or lasers teeth to create space, similar to shaving a small piece off a door for a more secure closure. Despite minimizing enamel damage, sculpting may weaken teeth, but dentists aim to minimize this risk.
- Surgery: If your orthodontist determines that extraction of teeth or jaw reshaping surgery would be the best course of action due to severe overlapping, they may recommend these procedures. But do not panic—only the direst situations would warrant these methods.
- Aligners: Clear aligners are a popular treatment for misalignment, including overlapping teeth, due to their comfort, discretion, ease of use, and removable nature. Transparent plastic aligners are also popular worldwide due to their low cost, no drill required, and almost undetectable nature. These disposable, almost undetectable aligners gently press overlapping teeth into the proper alignment, eliminating the need for metal in the mouth.
Consult With Dentist
An appointment with a skilled dentist is crucial for a brilliant smile and aligned teeth. The dentist thoroughly examines, including X-rays and a dental history review. This consultation is the foundation for creating a customized treatment plan. The dentist will guide you through the recommended course of action, answering any questions and ensuring you feel comfortable and confident about the journey ahead.
A dentist’s knowledge is important with so many treatment options, including the Invisalign system and conventional braces. When you take this proactive step, you begin a life-changing journey that improves your dental alignment and promotes your general well-being. Accept the advice of your dentist and anticipate having a set of teeth that are well-aligned and in good health in the future.
For the best dental alignment treatment in Islamabad, I suggest you consult the expert dentists of Enfield Royal Clinic.